Men Having Babies Midwest - 2017
Surrogacy Seminar & Gay Parenting Expo
Chicago, April 8-9, 2017
The 2017 Chicago Surrogacy Conference & Expo will feature surrogacy parenting options in both the USA and Canada, in an extended two-day format!
MHB is returning to Chicago, following the successful collaboration with the Center on Halsted and Howard Brown Health Center in 2014 and 2015. This time we will be offering an extended two day format — starting Saturday afternoon and continuing for the full day Sunday. It will bring together community activists, medical and legal experts, parents and surrogate mothers.
Prospective parents will benefit from practical and personal peer advice and opportunities to meet a wide range of leading providers from the USA and Canada at the Gay Parenting Expo, breakout sessions and in private consultations.
In-depth programs will offer insights from the latest studies about contemporary gestational surrogacy, and specialty panels on insurance, budgeting, medical and psychological aspects of surrogacy. Proceeds from sponsorship and exhibiting fees will benefit the Gay Parenting Assistance Program and Our Family Coalition.
Note: while the event is organized by gay parenting organizations, non-gay prospective surrogacy parents are welcome and will no doubt highly benefit from it as well.
3656 North Halsted, Chicago, IL 60613
We strongly encourage advance registration for both days - past events have sold out.
Agenda in brief
(for more details soon)
Saturday, April 8:
• 5:00-5:30pm: Registration
• 5:30-6:30pm: Is surrogacy right for you? Overview and personal stories - hear from several surrogates and parents
• 6:30 - 6:45pm: Coffee Break
• 6:45 - 8:00pm: A mindful look at surrogacy - Attitudes and Ethics. In this session we will examine the meanings and significance people tend to attribute to surrogacy in their lives. We will present recent ethnographic and psychological research on surrogacy, and look at programs meant to encourage a more mindful surrogacy experience.
Sunday, April 9:
• 8:30-9:00am: Registration
• 9:00-10:30am: Planning your parenting journey - major legal, medical and financial considerations
• 10:30 -10:45am: coffee break (courtesy of Golden Surrogacy)
• 10:45am-12:00pm: Picking providers, budgeting and financial assistance (GPAP).
• 12:00-1:30pm: Lunch (courtesy of San Diego Fertility Center) and gay parenting expo (tables of surrogacy agencies, clinics, lawyers and community organizations).
• 1:30-3:30pm: Breakout sessions - learn more about participating surrogacy providers.
• 3:30-8:30pm: Optional private consultations
• 3:30 -3:45pm: break
• 3:45-4:30pm: Specialty sessions I - Insurance and budgeting, Medical part 1
• 4:30-5:15pm: Specialty sessions II - Psychological aspects of surrogacy, Medical part 2
• 5:15-6:00pm: Networking reception & gay parenting expo.
* Note: If you need ASL interpretation services, we ask that you notify us by March 24, 2017, so that we may have time to secure an interpreter.