Expanded two-day "how-to" parenting program
Parent, surrogate and egg donor testimonies
25 Gay Parenting Services Exhibitors
Twenty-four "meet the sponsor" breakout sessions
Panel on insurance and budgeting
On-site consultations available with clinics and agencies
Medical, psychological, and legal experts
Unbiased information & resources focused on surrogacy solutions
MHB West returns with surrogacy options in the USA and Canada, the debut of the Advocacy & Research Forum, and the Complementary Services Expo!
For gay men who want to become parents through surrogacy, the MHB educational conferences are a rare opportunity to get under one roof a wealth of information, advice and access a wide range of relevant service providers — and from an unbiased non-profit organization. New this year: an informational session about surrogacy outside the USA, advice for prospective single fathers, and a Complimentary Services Expo.
In addition to advice about parenting options, we offer in parallel the Advocacy & Research Forum, to discuss the social, ethical, legal and empirical aspects of surrogacy and LGBT parenting. Participation requires registration (or just RSVP for those who registered for the entire conference).
More than 30 providers and community organizations will offer information on parenting options in the USA and Canada on Saturday, and on Sunday the expo will feature several financial and other complimentary services providers. In-depth workshops and panels have been updated, and arranged in program tracks that will appeal to prospective parents on different stages of the process. And of course we will once again offer the popular panel of teen surrogacy children!
The conference is based on a format MHB developed over the last 14 years in NY, Chicago, Dallas, Barcelona, Brussels and Tel Aviv. Proceeds from sponsorship and exhibiting fees will benefit the Gay Parenting Assistance Program and Our Family Coalition.
Note: while the event is organized by gay parenting organizations, non-gay prospective surrogacy parents are welcome and will no doubt highly benefit from it as well.
January 17-19, 2020
The conference will take place at Marines’ Memorial Club & Hotel,
609 Sutter Street, San Francisco
609 Sutter Street, San Francisco
Online registration for the 2020 conference is now closed. Walk-in tickets will be available at the door (at $95 each).
Agenda in brief(more details here)
Friday, January 17:
- 3:30 - 4:00pm: Registration
- 4:00 - 6:00pm: Opening session - The SF Advocacy and Research Forum - A look at the social, ethical, legal and empirical aspects of surrogacy and LGBT parenting.
- 8:30 - 9:00am: Registration
- 9:00 - 10:20am: Planning your parenting journey - major legal, medical and financial considerations
- 10:20 - 10:50: Surrogacy outside the USA: Canada and other destinations.
- 10:50 - 11:10am: coffee break
- 11:10am - 12:20pm: Picking providers, budgeting and financial assistance (GPAP)
- 12:20 -2:00pm: Lunch (courtesy of San Diego Fertility Center) and gay parenting expo (tables of surrogacy agencies, clinics, lawyers and community organizations).
- 2:00 - 4:00pm: Breakout sessions - learn more about participating surrogacy providers
- 3:00 - 7:00pm: Optional private consultations
- 4:00 - 5:00pm: Coffee Break & Expo (courtesy of Same Love Surrogacy)
- 5:00 - 5:45pm: Personal stories - hear from several surrogates and parents (Sponsored by HRC Rancho)
- 5:45 - 6:00pm: coffee break
- 6:00 - 7:15pm: A mindful look at surrogacy - Psychological and Ethical aspects.
- 6:00 - 7:00pm: Life After Birth - Resources and Family Support Services with Our Family Coalition.
Special evening activities (open to the community at large)
- 7:15 - 8:00pm: Teen Panel: Surrogacy children of gay dads share their stories
- 8:00pm: Parents / Intended Parents’ Happy Hour (Sponsored by California Fertility Partners)
Sunday, January 19:
- 8:15 - 9:00am: Registration & Complementary Services Expo
- 9:00 - 10:30am: Expert panel: Medical aspects of surrogacy (Sponsored by Pacific Fertility Center of LA)
- 9:00 - 1:00pm: Optional private consultations
- 10:30 - 11:00am: coffee break & Complementary Services Expo
- 11:00am - 12:00pm: Expert panel: Budgeting and insurance (Sponsored by ART Risk)
- 12:00 - 1:00pm: Q&A sessions:
- / Legal experts
- / Budgeting & The Gay Parenting Assistance Program (GPAP)
- 1:00 - 2:00pm: Advice for prospective single fathers
About Our Family Coalition
For over twenty years, Our Family Coalition has worked to advance equity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) families with children through support, education, and advocacy. Fortified by strong partnerships with our allies, and guided by community-based leadership, we seek to create an inclusive and just world where all LGBTQ families with children can see families like theirs reflected in the culture around them, and enjoy abundant opportunity to thrive as valued participants in our schools, institutions, and communities. We build community, increase understanding, and deepen social justice in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.